Hiking is a great way to explore the outdoors and stay active. Whether you’re a seasoned hiker or just starting, wearing the right hiking clothes is essential to ensure your comfort and safety on the trail.
One key piece of gear that often goes overlooked is the hiking sock. This list of the best hiking socks is researched and provides you with a variety to help you find the best option for your needs.
Best Hiking Socks
Hiking socks are designed to provide comfort and support during long hikes. They are typically made from moisture-wicking materials that help keep your feet dry and prevent blisters.
Hiking socks come in a variety of styles and materials, including wool, synthetic blends, and even bamboo.
Look for socks with reinforced heels and toes to help prevent wear and tear, and consider socks with extra cushioning if you’ll be carrying a heavy pack.
1. Dickies Men’s Dri-tech Essential Moisture Control Crew Socks
If you're looking for comfortable and durable hiking socks, then you should definitely consider the Dickies Men's Dri-tech Essential Moisture Control Crew Socks Multipack.
- Made of soft, breathable moisture control fibers that keep your feet dry and comfortable during long hikes
- The arch compression provides support and stability, while also keeping the socks in place
- The ventilation channels enhance air flow, which helps to regulate temperature and prevent sweat buildup
- Some hikers have reported that the socks are not as durable as they would like, with holes developing after just a few wears.
These socks are a great choice for hikers who want a comfortable and breathable sock that can stand up to the rigors of the trail.
The moisture control fibers help to keep your feet dry and comfortable, while the arch compression provides support and stability.
The ventilation channels also help to regulate temperature and prevent sweat buildup, which can be a real concern on long hikes.
2. Merrell Wool Hiking Socks
If you're looking for hiking socks that offer durability and comfort, you should consider the Merrell Wool Hiking Socks.
- The arch support keeps your feet comfortable throughout the day, even on long hikes.
- The reinforced heel and toe make these socks more durable than other hiking socks.
- The wool blend material is moisture-wicking, so your feet stay dry even in hot weather.
- Some customers have reported that these socks shrink after washing, so be sure to order a size up.
- These socks are not as thick as some other hiking socks, so they may not be as warm in cold weather.
- The price is higher than some other hiking socks on the market.
These socks are perfect for hikers who want a durable and comfortable sock that will last for years.
The arch support keeps your feet comfortable, even on long hikes, and the reinforced heel and toe ensure that these socks will last longer than other hiking socks.
The wool blend material is moisture-wicking, so your feet stay dry even in hot weather.
3. FEIDEER Women’s Hiking Walking Socks
If you're looking for comfortable and durable hiking socks, the FEIDEER Women's Socks are a great choice.
- The socks are made of high-quality materials, including breathable premium cotton fabric that wicks away sweat and moisture to keep your feet dry.
- They feature terry-loop cushioning throughout the entire foot for maximum comfort and protection, and the medium thickness helps reduce friction and disperse impact.
- These fashionable socks come in a variety of colors and styles, making them easy to match with most boots, shoes, and sneakers.
- Some customers have reported that the socks are too thick, making it difficult to fit into some shoes.
- While the socks are advertised as being suitable for all seasons, some customers have found them to be too warm for summer hiking.
Made with high-quality materials and featuring terry-loop cushioning throughout the entire foot, these socks provide maximum comfort and protection, while the breathable premium cotton fabric wicks away sweat and moisture to keep your feet dry.
With a variety of colors and styles to choose from, these fashionable socks are easy to match with most boots, shoes, and sneakers.
However, some customers have reported that the socks are too thick and may not fit into some shoes.
Additionally, while the socks are advertised as being suitable for all seasons, some customers have found them to be too warm for summer hiking.
4. Dickies Women’s Moisture Control Crew Socks Multipack
If you're looking for a comfortable and reliable pair of hiking socks, the Dickies Women's Moisture Control Crew Socks is an excellent choice.
- Moisture-wicking fibers keep feet dry and comfortable.
- Arch compression provides added support and stability.
- Full cushion comfort with reinforced heel and toe provides added durability.
- Some users reported pilling after multiple washes.
These socks are built with purpose to deliver superior comfort and performance on and off the job. The moisture management technology to keep your feet cool, dry, and comfortable throughout the day.
The ventilation channels engineered for air circulation and moisture control make them perfect for hiking or any other outdoor activity.
The arch compression provides added support and stability, while the full cushion comfort with reinforced heel and toe provides added durability.
5. innotree Women’s Cushioned Hiking Socks
If you're looking for comfortable and durable hiking socks, then innotree Women's Hiking Socks are a great option.
- These socks are made of a blend of cotton, nylon, and spandex, which makes them comfortable, breathable, and fast-drying.
- The fine gauge knitting technology used in these socks makes them super comfortable and provides great elasticity.
- The half thickness and cushioning along the bottom of the foot provide the perfect amount of support while a smooth, performance fit assures there's no slipping and no blisters.
- The colors of these socks might not be suitable for everyone's taste.
- These socks might not be suitable for extreme weather conditions.
These socks are great for hiking, camping, mountain biking, trail running, backpacking, travel, trekking, and other athletic outdoor activities. They are also suitable for a wide variety of summer and winter sports.
The moisture-wicking feature of these socks keeps your feet dry and comfortable during intense physical activities.
The durability of these socks is remarkable, and they come in a set of five pairs, making them a great gift idea.
6. Merrell Recycled Everyday Half Cushion Socks
If you are looking for a comfortable and durable pair of hiking socks that are also eco-friendly, the Merrell Recycled Cushion Socks are a great option.
- Made with Repreve moisture-wicking yarn from recycled water bottles
- Arch support and reinforced heel and toe provide comfort and durability
- Designed for serious hikers
- Some users may find them too thick for warmer weather
- May not fit well for those with larger feet
- Some users may prefer a higher cut sock for added ankle support
These socks are made with Repreve moisture-wicking yarn, which not only makes them eco-friendly but also incredibly comfortable.
The arch support and reinforced heel and toe make them durable and able to withstand even the toughest hikes. They are designed for serious hikers who need a sock that can keep up with them.
7. Columbia Moisture Control Crew Sock
If you are looking for a durable and comfortable pair of hiking socks, Columbia Moisture Control Crew Socks are worth considering!
- The soft cotton blend with arch support and mesh ventilation provides great comfort and breathability.
- The half cushion moisture-wicking feature keeps your feet dry and fresh, even during long hikes.
- The comfort top ensures that the socks stay in place without being too tight around your leg.
- Some users have reported that the socks do not keep their feet as cool and dry as other socks.
- The socks may not fit well for people with larger feet.
- The socks may not be as durable as some other hiking socks on the market.
These socks are perfect for hiking, as they provide great comfort and keep your feet dry and fresh.
The soft cotton blend with arch support and mesh ventilation ensures that your feet stay comfortable and breathable, even during long hikes.
The half cushion moisture-wicking feature is also a great addition, as it keeps your feet dry and fresh, preventing blisters and other foot problems.
8. Darn Tough Hiker Micro Crew Midweight with Cushion Socks
If you're looking for a durable and comfortable pair of hiking socks, the Darn Tough Hiker Micro Crew is an excellent choice.
- Midweight with Cushion provides warmth and comfort in all weather conditions
- Micro Crew Height is shorter and more concise than traditional crew height, allowing for a better fit with hiking boots
- May be too warm for extremely hot weather
- Higher price point than some other hiking socks on the market
- Sizing can be tricky, so be sure to consult the size chart before purchasing
These socks are made with high-quality materials that provide both durability and comfort.
- The Merino Wool and Nylon blend is soft and breathable, while the Lycra Spandex ensures a snug fit that won’t slip down during your hike.
- The Midweight with Cushion provides a comfortable level of cushion density under your foot, making these socks a great choice for longer hikes or more challenging terrain.
- The Micro Crew Height is a shorter, more concise version of the traditional crew height, which allows for a better fit with hiking boots.
While these socks may be too warm for extremely hot weather, they are an excellent choice for most hiking conditions.
The only downside is the higher price point, but considering the quality of the materials and the fact that they come with a lifetime guarantee, they are definitely worth the investment. Just be sure to consult the size chart before purchasing, as sizing can be tricky.
9. DANISH ENDURANCE Merino Wool Hiking Socks for Men & Women
Get ready to hit the trails with these DANISH ENDURANCE Merino Wool Hiking Socks! These hiking socks are perfect for any outdoor adventure, whether you're hiking, trekking, or simply taking a walk. The merino wool material keeps your feet comfortable and dry, while the targeted cushioning ensures that you can hike for hours without any discomfort.
- The thermoregulating merino wool and moisture-wicking ventilation lanes keep your feet fresh and dry in any weather.
- The targeted cushioning reduces the risk of blisters and sore feet, providing you with the support you need during long hikes.
- The socks are designed in Denmark with high-quality standards and are fairly produced in Portugal.
- The socks may not be thick enough to provide protection against extreme cold weather.
- Some customers have complained about a strong odor coming from the red socks.
- The price may be a bit steep for a pack of three socks.
These hiking socks are perfect for any outdoor adventure, whether you’re hiking, trekking, or simply taking a walk.
The merino wool material keeps your feet comfortable and dry, while the targeted cushioning ensures that you can hike for hours without any discomfort.
The socks are designed in Denmark with input from Everest mountaineer Rasmus Kragh, so you know that they are made with high-quality standards.
Plus, the socks are fairly produced in Portugal, so you can feel good about your purchase.
When it comes to choosing the best hiking socks, there are a few key features you should look for to ensure you get the most comfort and protection on your hike.
Here are some things to consider:
The material of the sock is important for both comfort and durability. Look for socks made from materials such as wool, synthetic blends, or a combination of both.
Wool is a great option for its natural moisture-wicking and odor-resistant properties, while synthetic blends can provide added durability and breathability.
The level of cushioning you need will depend on the terrain and length of your hike.
Socks with more cushioning are better for rugged terrain and longer hikes, while thinner socks may be suitable for shorter hikes on easier terrain.
Look for socks with cushioning in the heel and ball of the foot for added comfort.
The fit of your hiking socks is crucial for preventing blisters and ensuring comfort.
Look for socks with a snug fit that don’t bunch up or slide around inside your shoes.
Some socks may come in different sizes or have adjustable features such as compression or elastic bands to help achieve the perfect fit.
The height of your socks can also impact your comfort and protection on the trail.
Low-cut socks are best for hot weather and shorter hikes, while mid-calf or crew-length socks provide added protection and warmth for colder weather and longer hikes.
Additional features to consider include moisture-wicking properties, odor control, and seamless construction to prevent rubbing and irritation.
Some socks may also have reinforced areas for added durability and protection.
By considering these features when selecting your hiking socks, you can ensure a more comfortable and enjoyable hiking experience.